Thursday, August 5, 2010

Child Friendly Nuggets of Gold


{Don't forget to leave a comment HERE to enter the drawing for the gluten free cookbook}

Are your kids the kind who cry for chicken nuggets and then only take one or two bites of them before tossing them aside for the oil laden fries? Well take a look into that nugget. Have you noticed how it looks like glued together fat cells? Don't they resemble hockey pucks on the outside? Ewww!

Can any of us really blame the poor babies? Feeding them the following recipe will only make the problem worse I am sorry to say. They can experience REAL chicken, nuggets. They will love them. Next time they are served impostor nuggets they will beg to go home and be fed these little nuggets of gold. They will be devoured so quickly you won't be able to get a actually picture of them. So sorry. But think of how much healthier these are and you KNOW every ingredient you put into them.

Homemade Chicken Nuggets

4 Chicken Breasts, cubed
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
½ c. parmesan cheese (grated or dried)
½ teas. garlic powder
½ teas. salt
Skim milk (or whatever you have)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (These can be made in a toaster oven to eliminate heating up the house during the summer.)

Combine bread crumbs, cheese, garlic and salt in a bowl or a Ziploc bag. Dip chicken cubes into milk then in the bread crumbs. Place on a cookie sheet so they are not touching. Bake about 20 minutes. You may want to turn them over ½ way through the baking so the bottom and top are equally crispy. My boys like to dip them in buttermilk ranch dressing, but they are also good in honey mustard and bbq sauce.

**Gluten-Free Version - Substitute the bread crumbs with 1 cup of gluten free oat flour and 1 ½ teaspoon crushed Italian seasoning and increase the salt by a pinch or two. ENJOY!

~jan

I have linked to...
Seven Thirty Three -- Thrifty Thursday -- Creations By Kara -- Heart and Home -- Chic on a Shoestring -- Lit and Laundry -- Simply Sweet Home-- It's a Blog Party -- Fingerprints on the Fridge

13 comments:

  1. AWESOME! I have been looking for a recipe like this for a month! My toddler will love 'em!

    I am your newest follower..

    :)
    Thanks,
    Lisa
    http://homemadehodgepodge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, sounds so good! Thanks for linking to Heart and Home, Wednesday Gratitude.
    XO
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for makin it gluten free mom:)
    Hanna will love 'em
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been seein boneless chicken breast on sale quite often lately in fact I think there are some in freezer I think I will make these for the teens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm! I make something similar with chicken breast strips and corn flake crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been making these for years and years... my mother made them when I was a kid too, only we use beaten egg instead of milk. They're an absolute family favorite!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely have to try that recipe!!! I bought some Morningstar Farms "nuggets" for my kids and amazingly, they DEVOURED them! Score one for mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the recipe. I have been pondering on an option to mcnuggets! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm, yum. I am definetly going to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You gotta love chicken nuggets. They're easy to make and kids love them!

    Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this recipe, I'll be making these soon!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?