Friday, June 17, 2011

Pizza on the Grill

We love pizza at our house. We make it often, usually at least once a week. But when the weather is hot (as is mostly is in Leeward Oahu), using the oven can be unbearable. So I decided to try cooking our pizza outside on the grill.

Use your favorite pizza dough recipe. I like to use whole wheat flour and a generous amount of olive oil in mine for best flavor. Roll out your dough inside, then brush with more olive oil to prevent sticking and place your crust right on the clean grill over hot coals.
Let cook for a minute or so, then flip over with a couple of spatulas and grill the other side. Once it's cooked a bit, add your sauce,


and your favorite toppings (I used grilled peppers and asparagus. Spinach, mushroom and tomato is great too. Or for purists, just pepperoni.)

 Then spread on the cheese

and cover the grill for 5- 10 minutes. Check it every minute or two to make sure your crust doesn't burn.


This was a bit more work than making it in the oven, but it was fun and the house definitely stayed cooler this way. When I do it again, I'll probably make individual pizzas (or at least 2 small ones instead of one big one) to ensure that the crust cooks evenly... the edges of mine weren't as crispy as I like them to be.

Bon appetit!

Lorie







2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more about turning on the oven in the summer! I'm getting my grill this weekend! Yippy....can't wait to make this grilled pizza! Thanks for sharing.

    I'm hosting a cookbook giveaway on my blog (On A Stick). Please stop by to enter if you're interested.

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grilled pizza is the only way we'll do pizza over the summer - we tried it for the first time last summer and won't go back. We LOVE it. Great idea for adding asparagus. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?